Date: Sat 15 Mar 2014

Saints cruise to Victory over Old Gold

Sam Finley scored for the Saints

Sam Finley scored for the Saints

The New Saints beat Carmarthen Town 4-0 in the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League, thanks to goals from Mike Wilde, Matty Williams, Sam Finley and substitute, Greg Draper.

The Saints raced into an early lead thanks to Wilde and midway through the first half, Williams made it two nil. Finley made it three on the half hour mark and in the last minute of the match, Draper finished the scoring.

TNS started brightly and were in front after only four minutes. Jamie Mullan excellently picked out Wilde, who made no mistake from close range. The powerful striker confidently rolled the ball past Steven Cann to give Craig Harrison's side a perfect start.

A minute later, Cann tipped a Chris Seargeant free kick over the bar as The Saints attempted to double their lead.

With The Saints in complete control, Williams nearly doubled the advantage. The TNS number 10 fired a low drive which Cann just kept out.

On the 22nd minute, Chris Jones found space on the edge of the box and fired a powerful shot against the cross bar, with Cann helpless.

However, three minutes later and the second goal of the game came. Aeron Edwards played Wilde in and the former Chester City man pulled the ball back, leaving Williams with a tap in.

With half an hour gone, Finley scored a third. After the energetic midfielder had hit the post, Wilde raced onto the loose ball and pulled the ball back for Finley, who easily headed in from close range.
With ten minutes left to play in the first half, Christian Doidge headed against the cross bar for the visitors after latching on to a cross from a corner.
Williams and Wilde both fired wide from just inside the box moments before the half time whistle, as The Saints went into the break leading by three goals to nil.

Lee Fowler replaced Seargeant at the start of the second half and as the game become much more open, both Mullan and Williams missed chances to score the fourth goal of the day.

Midway through the second half, Williams played a quick free kick into the path of Edwards and despite the midfielder generating a lot of power from his left footed strike, the Carmarthen goalkeeper was able to catch the ball.
Soon after, Mullan curled his effort just wide from a tight angle as The Saints looked to extend the lead further.

The Saints were in complete control of the match and controlled the rest of the game with ease. Draper and Simon Spender replaced Finley and Williams respectively and within minutes, the New Zealand International headed just wide, before Mullan found the side netting from close range, as The Saints continued to create a number of chances.

However, the fourth goal did eventually come in the last minute of the game. Edwards raced clear and unselfishly pulled the ball back for Draper who comfortably tapped in from ten yards out to complete the scoring.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala