Date: Sat 07 Sep 2013

Griff inspires Steelmen to First Win

Rhys Griffiths scores his second goal of the game

Rhys Griffiths scores his second goal of the game

PORT Talbot Town claimed their first league win of the new season this afternoon, as they swept aside previously unbeaten Aberystwyth Town 3-0.

Rhys Griffiths rattled the Seasiders’ defence after coming on as a first-half substitute, poaching his first goals since returning to the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League.

Griffiths reacted quickest at the back post after Adie Harris flicked on Brooks’ corner, shortly after taking to the field.

Griffiths then claimed his second of the afternoon when he towered above the Aberystwyth defence to power David Brooks’ corner in past Joe Perry.

After being forced to wait to hand debuts to new arrivals Adie Harris and Sam O’Sullivan, director of football Scott Young was finally able to name his two deadline day signings in his side, as Port Talbot turned in their most convincing display of the season.

Daniel Sheehan’s late cross-cum-shot deceived Perry on 85-minutes and sealed Port Talbot a fully deservedly three points.

Having bagged his first goal of the new campaign midweek at Newtown, Martin Rose started alone up front for the Steelmen and looked alert early on, as he almost nipped in between centre backs Stuart Jones and Sion James.

And Lee Surman tested Aber’s goalkeeping debutant Perry with a fifth-minute header to cap a bright start for Port Talbot.

Aberystwyth set their stall early on, looking to build on an encouraging start which saw them take 7 points from their opening three games, and attempted to quickly close Port Talbot down and prevent the hosts from playing through midfield.

On 14 minutes Rose slipped the ball through to Harling but despite beating the offside trap, he was quickly dispossessed by Perry.

And after a lukewarm opening, the game was turned on the head following the arrival of Griffiths, as ankle injury forced Martin Rose off.

Griffiths instinctively put Port Talbot pouncing on a loose ball following David Brooks’ driven corner, giving the Blues the lead.

A fine start to the second-half saw Rhys Griffiths quickly put Aberystwyth to the sword, five minutes after the restart as Scott Young’s side wilfully stamped their authority on the game.

David Brooks’ delivery from corners once again proved problematic to the Aber defence as Griffiths leapt to reach the ball with a powerful header, which flew straight into the top-hand corner.

Two goals to the good the Blues dominated as they looked to make sure of the points. Brooks menaced down the left and Ashley Evans came close has he rifled over a cut-back from the edge of the area, as Town piled on the pressure.

Aberystwyth were left frustrated in their attempts to find a foothold back into the game and came closest when Chris Venables headed against the Port Talbot crossbar before heading a return effort out of play.

With Port Talbot fixing themselves deep inside the Aberystwyth half, a third was duly delivered by a Town side eager for the points.

Daniel Sheehan, who had earlier threatened with an ambitious long-range lob, this time saw an equally cheeky effort panic the Seasiders. His right-footed cross veered into the open net past the keeper with an air of good fortune, though the margin of Port Talbot’s win was anything but fortunate on a fine afternoon for Scott Young’s men.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala