Date: Mon 26 Aug 2013

Lakesiders are still looking for lift-off

BALA Town failed to capitalise on a promising start as their winless start to the Welsh Premier League season continued this week.

After slipping to a heavy 4-1 loss in their first match of the season at Prestatyn last Friday, the Lakesiders will have been eager to claim the three points at home to Airbus UK Broughton on Bank Holiday Monday.

But, despite taking an early lead, the black-and-whites fell to a 2-1 loss at the hands of Andy Preece’s side.

On a glorious sunny day, it was Airbus who had the first sight of goal when they were awarded a fourth minute free kick, but the 25-yard effort went over the top.

Bala pressed at the other end and their first opportunity arrived following good interplay between Lewis Codling and Mark Connolly, which ended with the latter shooting over the bar from just inside the area.

Just two minutes later and Bala had their noses in front.

Mark Connolly controlled a long ball on his chest and then slotted a good effort into the bottom corner of the net.

As the match developed, Kenny Lunt and Lewis Codling both had their names added into the referee´s notebook after quickfire fouls within a minute of each other.

However, the game’s turning point came after half-an-hour.

Bala were awarded a free kick out on the wing and Lunt opted to take it quickly, but referee Bryn Markham-Jones had not blown his whistle.

To the astonishment of the hosts, Lunt was booked yet again, which resulted in a red card.

Now with a numerical advantage, Airbus began to move the ball around well on the Maes Tegid surface and they drew level four minutes shy of the interval.

Ian Kearney headed down for Mike Pearson to net from six yards out.

While the teams went into half-time level pegging, the Wingmakers took the lead only a minute into the second half when Steve Jones finished off a good passing move.

Chances were a rarity after this, with Bala having to work hard to close their visitors down.

Bala did manage the odd attack and from a Ryan Valentine cross, Mark Connolly directed a header on target.

At the other end, Airbus went close to stretching their advantage, only for home keeper Ashley Morris to produce a marvellous stop before Stuart Jones cleared off the line.

A different day, but a familiar outcome for Denbigh Town.

Having claimed four-wins-out-of-four in the league going into Monday, Richard Williams-Cooke’s side bagged a fifth win of the campaign courtesy of a 4-0 showing at home to Barmouth and Dyffryn United in front of a bumper crowd at Central Park. Amazingly, after seven-and-a-half-hours of football this season, Town are still yet to concede a goal.

The crowd was swelled to nearly 450 people with the visit of the Groundhop UK fan group.

Denbigh came flying out of the blocks, with Mark Roberts, Mike Lundstram and Warren Duckett having early chances.

After Kristian Pierce fizzed a free kick just over the bar, Barmouth settled into the game and they became more of a threat, with Town keeper Mike Jones being forced to palm away a 20-yard effort.

Jones was called into action once again to save brilliantly with his feet.

Denbigh regrouped and they took the lead in the 26th minute through Lundstram.

Pierce doubled the lead in the 30th minute with the goal of the game.

He picked the ball up on the halfway line and drove forward at the defence.

As Duckett made a great decoy run to occupy the defenders, Pierce then cut inside and unleashed a beauty with his left foot from 18 yards into the top corner.

Denbigh were second best in most areas during the early portion of the second half and Mike Jones showed some good handling.

However, the game was over as a contest in the 70th minute when Denbigh were awarded a penalty after a pull on Lundstram.

Pierce successfully slotted in the spot kick. Three minutes later and Pierce was celebrating the second hat-trick from a Denbigh player in the space of a few days.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala