Date: Sat 24 Aug 2013

Super Saints Score Six to Stun Steelmen

The New Saints 6-0 Port Talbot Town

Greg Draper celebrates his hattrick

Greg Draper celebrates his hattrick

The Champions TNS set out their stall for the season as they stunned the Steelmen with a superlative 6-0 win at Park Hall, with sub Greg Draper scoring a second-half hat-trick.

Ryan Fraughan gave the hosts a 21st minute lead with an outstanding curling shot into the top left corner from outside the box. The League's Young Player of the Year from last season had already tested Town 'keeper Steve Hall, who had made three outstanding saves before he was finally beaten.

The Saints doubled their advantage after the break when Fraughan passed to Chris Seargeant who whipped in a cross from the right, which found Mike Wilde's head and last season's Golden Boot, finished clinically in the 52nd minute.

It became 3-0 in the 57th minute as Alex Darlington converted a penalty, which was awarded after Town skipper Lee Surman handled in the box.

Fraughan and Seargeant combined again to create the fourth goal for the Saints. Seargeant fed Fraughan, whose neat flick found sub Greg Draper who scored with his first touch.

The Saints were in outstanding form to create the fifth and Draper's second. A classy build up found sub Matty Williams in space and although Hall saved his shot, the New Zealander was on hand to score his second. The afternoon got even better for the tall marksman as he rounded off an incredible cameo with his hat-trick lobbing Hall from outside the box.

Airbus UK Broughton 1-0 Carmarthen Town

Airbus UK Broughton have claimed their first win of the season, but they left it very late at the Airfield. The veteran Richie Partridge came off the Wingmakers bench for Ryan Wade in the 76th minute and the former TNS winger struck the decisive winner a minute from time.

Nomads Simon Everall takes on Matthew Rees and Ryan Batley (Photo: gap Connahs Quay)

Nomads Simon Everall takes on Matthew Rees and Ryan Batley (Photo: gap Connahs Quay)

gap Connah's Quay 0-0 Afan Lido

It was honours even at the Deeside Stadium as both sides claimed a point. The Nomads came closest to scoring as player/coach Mark McGregor had the ball in the back of the net, but it was ruled out for a push. Luke Borrelli had the visitors' best chance, but the Lido's star man was Rory McCreesh who made a string of saves to deny the hosts.

Newtown AFC 0-1 Bangor City

Bangor City legend Les Davies gave his side all three points at Latham Park with a late volley, which was a harsh result on the hosts. As the clock ticked over 87 minutes, Jamie Petrie sat a ball up for the ever dangerous Davies, who thumped the ball home to the delight of the travelling City fans.

Rhyl FC 0-3 Aberystwyth Town

Rhyl's return to the Welsh Premier League didn't go as well as they would have planned as they lost 3-0 to Aberystwyth Town in Ian Hughes' first game in charge of the Seasiders and the hosts also had a man sent-off.

The visitors took the lead in the sixth minute as captain Stuart Jones latched onto a ball from Aber debutant Craig Williams to score. There was further bad news for Greg Strong's side in the first half as the first red card of the season was shown to full-back Liam Benson for a challenge on Kris Nalborski.

The advantage was doubled five minutes after the break after Nalborski put the Rhyl defence under pressure, leading to Williams getting the ball down the left, his subsequent cross was tapped in by striker Mark Jones for his first of the campaign.

Ex-TNS and Llanelli man Williams capped a fine afternoon as he assisted the thrid goal as well, playing a short free kick to the edge of the area for Chris Venables to finish well.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala