Date: Sat 02 Mar 2013

Bangor, Barry and Prestatyn book Semi-Final Spots

Bangor City 1-0 Airbus UK

Sion Edwards of Bangor goes around Glen Rule of Airbus (Richard Birch)

Sion Edwards of Bangor goes around Glen Rule of Airbus (Richard Birch)

Bangor City booked their place in the last-four with a hard-fought, but deserved win at the BookPeople Stadium in the live match.

The best chance of the opening exchanges fell for Bangor's Les Davies, but his header just flew over the bar from Chris Jones' pin-point cross. The hosts certainly had the territorial advantage in the first twenty minutes and Chris Jones had the next chance but his lob was caught safely by Jamie Stephens.

But, on 23 minutes the territorial advantage counted as Ryan Edwards broke free down the right and his perfect far-post cross picked out Chris Simm and Bangor's top-scorer made no mistake with his head.

Bangor were forced into a change at the break with Dave Morley leaving the field through injury, to be replaced by Michael Johnston.

There were chances at both ends after the break, with Simm having one effort cleared off the line and Airbus having one disallowed, whilst Tom Field's strike hit the post with Lee Idzi beaten. But in a tense finale, Nev Powell's side hung on to claim their victory and book a fifth Welsh Cup semi-final in six seasons.

Carmarthen Town 2-3 Prestatyn (AET)

A dramatic winner from Dave Hayes, four minutes from penalties, meant that Prestatyn Town came from twice behind to beat Carmarthen Town in a cracking cup-tie.

It was all square at the break in Richmond Park as neither side could make the breakthrough. The deadlock was finally broken in the 58th minute as ex-Llanelli winger Geoff Kellaway struck for the hosts.

It was all-square in the 74th minute as Mike Parker restored parity, but Craig Hughes then responded almost immediately as the Old Gold took the lead again on 78 minutes. The Seasiders responded again though as Andy Parkinson made it 2-2 with a strike on 81 minutes. That send the tie to extra-time and it was defender Hayes, who was the unlikely hero as he claimed the winner.

Flint Town Utd 0-2 Barry Town (F/T)

Barry Town celebrating (Photo: Barry Town Supporters Club)

Barry Town celebrating (Photo: Barry Town Supporters Club)

Barry Town have reached the last four as their fairy-tale Cup run continued on the road in Flint.

Gavin Chesterfield's side took a 27th minute lead at Cae-y-castell as Ryan Evans struck a direct free-kick and the Welsh League side held that advantage at the break. After a mistake at the back from Flint, Ryan Jenkins then doubled the Barry lead on 54 minutes to send the strong traveling contingent delirious and no doubt the long trip home to South Wales will be an enjoyable one.

Result from Friday

Haverfordwest County 0-1 TNS

The New Saints beat Haverfordwest County on Friday evening, courtesy of a solitary Matty Williams strike just before the hour, despite Sam Finlay being sent-off for the full-time outfit from Oswestry.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
WPL Preview: Bangor City v The New Saints 01/12/12