Date: Sat 09 Feb 2013

Parker settles Topsy-Turvy Affair

Mike Parker scored the late equaliser

Mike Parker scored the late equaliser

Unlike the previous 3-3 draw between these combatants at Nantporth on December 28, where Prestatyn rallied from 3-0 down to force a draw with three late goals, Saturday's sequel was a more topsy-turvy, unpredictable affair where the outcome was in the balance until the final seconds.

Statistics-wise, City totally dominated, although part of this may have been down to the dismissal of Town striker Jason Price after just 22 minutes limiting the visitors' attacking options.

Bangor had 36 goal attempts compared to Prestatyn's 10, with the on-target efforts 14-4 in the Citizens favour.

Neville Powell's side were also 17-3 ahead on corners, yet ironically it was a flag-kick which produced the Seasiders' last-gasp leveller.

At the end of the day, however, only goals count and despite being outplayed for long periods Prestatyn's resilience earned them a deserved point.

The all-Reds almost scored from their first attack when Andy Parkinson robbed Michael Johnston near the corner flag and slipped the ball to Greg Stones. The ex-Rhyl full-back's low cross seemed to have put it on a plate for the sliding-in Price, but the big front man miscued and allowed Lee Idzi to block.

The visitors had delivered a warning sign, though, and more sloppy Bangor defending led to Price finding Parkinson, the former Tranmere Rovers front man making it 1-0 with a clinical finish in the 13th minute.

Two minutes later referee Kevin Morgan ruled that Town's new signing Tommy Holmes had brought down Chris Simm in the area and pointed to the spot. It was never a penalty, but justice was done when Jon Hill-Dunt comfortably saved Simm's poorly-struck kick.

City kept knocking on the door and in the 22nd minute Price was adjudged to have handled from a Robbie Booth corner. As the ex-Swansea City forward had already been cautioned and warned by Morgan that he was walking a tightrope after a dissent episode, he was shown a red card.

This time Dave Morley stepped up to take the penalty, but his effort was equally as tame as Simm's and Hill-Dunt kept the ball out again.

Levi Mackin's through ball put Simm clean through, but Hill-Dunt came out on top again and the Prestatyn glovesman made a couple of other fine stops before the break.

Bangor badly needed an early goal in the second half to boost their confidence and it arrived right on cue in the 49th minute.

Les Davies held the ball up nicely and fed Mackin whose left-foot rocket gave Hill-Dunt no hope.

If City fans thought the floodgates might now open they were in for a rude awakening, as on 56 minutes Parkinson left Johnston standing on the left and raced into the box to score a fabulous individual goal – his 18th in the league this term.

On the hour Bangor midfielder Damien Allen had a moment to forget when he rounded keeper Dunt and jinked past two defenders, but from four yards out and the goal gaping he somehow hit the bar.

City were piling on the pressure, though, and the introduction of Sion Edwards and Chris Jones on 69 minutes made a big difference.

On 74 minutes Booth's fine corner was headed home from close range by Simm, who pulled level with Parkinson in the WPL's Golden Boot stakes on 18 goals.

Seconds later Nantporth erupted as Edwards broke down the left and his pinpoint cross was controlled and lashed home by Davies for 3-2.

This surely signalled the end for 10-man Prestatyn, but Neil Gibson's charges never know when they are beaten.

In the third of four added minutes, Gibson played a short corner to substitute Dan Evans, whose cross found Michael Parker in acres of space at the back post. And just as he had done in December, Parker finished from close range to make it 3-3 to the delight of the visiting supporters.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala