Date: Sat 19 Jan 2013

Six of the Best for Preece's Wingmakers

Andy Preece was a delighted Manager

Andy Preece was a delighted Manager

Prestatyn Town's last phase one game ended in a crushing 6-1 defeat by Airbus UK at a freezing Bastion Gardens this afternoon, writes

The result equals the Seasiders' heaviest-ever WPL defeat and although the mood in the camp would understandably be a tad sombre this evening it's worth remembering that even if Airbus and Bangor City win their remaining games, pushing us into fourth spot, only three points would separate second, third and fourth places as we enter the crucial second phase of fixtures.

If you had asked anyone at Bastion Gardens when the season started if they would take that, then your hand would have been bitten off to the elbow.

The Wingmakers started the brighter of the two sides, opening the scoring on 10 minutes when Ryan Wade rose highest to head home Wayne Riley's corner.

Five minutes later Town were level when Neil Gibson's shot was charged down by the defence and Michael Parker reacted quickest to fire home the loose ball.

Straight from the restart Riley flashed a shot a whisker past Jon Hill-Dunt's upright then the Town keeper produced a flying full-length save to deny Glenn Rule, pushing the Airbus man's stinging drive around the upright.

With Airbus enjoying the lion's share of possession, it was little surprise they added a second on 37 minutes when Rule produced a superb piece of individual skill, hammering home an 18-yard volley from Lee Owens' pinpoint cross.

That's how it stayed at half time and Town could have levelled shortly after the restart but Andy Parkinson's acrobatic bicycle kick was well saved by keeper Jamie Stephens.

Chris Budrys then failed to increase the visitors' lead when he couldn't get a boot to Riley's cross with the goal at his mercy and Hill-Dunt was called on again shortly after, tipping the lively Riley's free-kick over the bar to safety.

In the 56th minute the third goal did arrive when Budrys nodded home from Riley's corner and six minutes later it was almost four but Ian Kearney could only head Michael Roddy's cross wide of an unguarded target.

And it was Roddy who had a hand in the Wingmakers' next goal on 71 minutes, his cross finding Budrys who clipped the ball home from close range.

It was all Airbus now - Tom Field saw a goalbound effort tipped over by Hill-Dunt then the Prestatyn keeper fumbled Phil Bolland's header for number five on 79 minutes and when substitute Jordan Johnson set up Riley for the sixth with seven minutes remaining the final whistle couldn't come quickly enough for the men in red shirts.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala