Date: Sat 05 Jan 2013

Reds gain point against Citizens

A combination of lax finishing, slack defending and unsure judgement cost the Reds what would have been a deserved three points against the Citizens, who at the close would have been more than happy with a share of the spoils against opponents who had deprived them of their unbeaten home record last October. Early pressure by the hosts led to Michael Johnston making a timely clearance to cut out a potential goal threatening cross from Geoff Kellaway, who then had another low delivery into the goalmouth safely grasped by keeper Lee Idzi.

A strike from distance by Luke Bowen forced Idzi to claw it out to safety, and when Kellaway was put through on a one-on-one with the Bangor custodian, he could only fire his effort against Idzi and Lloyd Grist blasted over the rebound. Adam Davies sent Martin Rose clear, and his cross was met by Bowen whose header drifted just off target. Controlling matters, and well on top, the Reds deservedly took the lead on 15 minutes with Rose seizing on a pass before taking it on into the area before being confronted by the oncoming goalkeeper, but he kept his composure and rounded Idzi and found the vacant net.

Shortly after, the lead should have been doubled following combination involving Rose and Kellaway which led to the latter finding Grist at the far post, but from not more than a couple of yards out, he somehow contrived to lift the chance over the bar when it seemed easier to score. A rare Bangor foray into home territory culminated in a snap shot on the turn by Les Davies being kept out by the legs of goalkeeper Craig Morris, but this was an isolated threat as the Reds continued to call the shots. Bowen fired across the face of the goal and wide of the far post when he might have done better by picking out a more advantageously placed colleague, and the same player was wide of the target again, finishing off a move which involved himself, Rose and Kellaway. Idzi was forced to push another Bowen attempt around for a corner just before the interval, and from the resulting corner, an almighty scramble ensued on the Bangor line before a free kick relieved the situation for the visitors.

The Reds were quickly into their stride in the second period, with Johnston again bringing off a saving interception when Bowen drilled a ball into the box with Rose waiting to pull the trigger. However, five minutes after the restart, the visitors levelled matters when some sloppy defending on the edge of the box involving Chris Thomas who misjudged the bounce of the ball, let in Chris Simm who gratefully accepted the chance by driving it beyond Morris. Despite this unexpected setback, the home side still looked capable of adding to their tally, and it took a brilliant save by Idzi from preventing Rose from doing so, pushing his close range effort from a Kellaway cross against the inside of the post and to safety.

When the visitors countered, Chris Jones set up Ryan Edwards whose driven ball flashed across the goalmouth without anyone able to make contact but forcing Adam Davies to concede a corner. When this came across, Bangor took the lead when Simm was allowed to rise unchallenged before glancing a header past a helpless Morris on 67 minutes. With the clock ticking down, the home side made a couple of changes with Craig Moses and Craig Williams replacing Grist and Kellaway, and with just five minutes remaining it was Moses who was involved when he burst into the box before being felled by a tackle from Sion Edwards, leading to a red card for the visiting player and the award of a penalty. Having already successfully converted one against Carmarthen Town in the Reds last game, Antonio Corbisiero stepped up to take the kick, and drove it confidently past Idzi to level matters and earn his side a share of the points – but it could, and should, have been all three.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala