Date: Tue 01 Jan 2013

McNally Cock-a-Hoop with Robins Win

Bernie McNally was cock-a-hoop today after another rousing performance from his Robins which saw them do the double over local rivals, Aberystwyth and achieve a very rare three wins in succession.

Andy Jones produced his best once again, starting off the scoring in 14th minute with a scintillating run down the left hand wing before outstripping his marker and cutting inside to score very confidently - an excellent strike and a very worthy opener. It stayed like that until half time with both sides enjoying their share of possession, but only Newtown looked like troubling the goalkeepers.

Everyone knew that a second goal was needed, and it came on the 57th minute when Luke Boundford converted a clearance on the half-volley, sending back a stunning shot into the top of the net, giving Lewis in the Aber goal, no chance. The game settled into a period of calm where neither side had clear cut chances, but Newtown always looked like creating the real danger. Nicky Ward was influential in midfield, and looks more menacing higher up the pitch; Craig Williams was his usual menance, running at the back four and creating chances and both Zac Evans down the right and Iain Edmunds down the left, were excellent. The back four probably had the most consistent performance as the centre half partnership of Kieren Mills-Evans and Shane Sutton continued to operate with maximum efficiency.

There were some concerned home support towards the end of the match when Aberystwyth's newly transferred striker, Mark Jones from Afan Lido, sparked into action and scored a reply for the visitors on the 81st minute. The next quarter of an hour or so was a testing time as Aberystwyth's front line sprang into effect and suddenly looked a very potent force. Exerting much pressure on the Robins box, balls continued to be pumped in - each, however, competently dealt with by home side. As everyone knows, the best form of defence is attack and spearheading the strike force, Luke Boundford twice beat the Aber defence, only to send his shot high or wide. The next attack saw the ball met by Gareth Partridge on his left foot and as it flew into the net there was a palpable sigh of relief around the ground, Newtown getting their third goal in the 4th minute of added time.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala