Date: Sat 08 Dec 2012

Five Star Performance from Rhyl who Stun Seasiders

Russell Courtney heads the first Rhyl goal (

Russell Courtney heads the first Rhyl goal (

Aberystwyth Town 2-5 Rhyl FC (Result)
The biggest shock of the Welsh Cup Round 3 came in front of the live S4/C cameras as Rhyl of the Huws Gray Alliance stunned Welsh Premier League Aberystwyth Town, 5-2.

After a well-balanced opening half-hour the hosts took the lead with an excellent set-piece goal, as Matty Collins delivered the free-kick and skipper Stuart Jones rose highest to loop his header over Dave Stevenson in the Rhyl goal. It was then a similar story five minutes before the break for Rhyl, as Tom Rowlands delivered a free-kick for his skipper Russell Courtney to head in the equaliser. Then, moments later Rhyl took the lead with Paul McManus scoring from the penalty spot after Marc Evans was brought down by Aber 'keeper Mike Lewis.

Just after the break Rhyl midfielder Danny Hughes extended the lead to make it 3-1 to the Huws Gray Alliance leaders reacting first in the box, but on 52 minutes seventeen-year old Rhydian Davies got Aber back in it. A great ball from Michael Walsh freed Declan Carroll who showed skill before chipping into the box for Davies to head in. It looked to be game over in the 77th minute when Hughes scored his second from a great Marc Evans through-ball.

In stoppage time, Cledan Davies pulled down David Forbes in the box, he was sent-off and McManus scored his second to complete the rout for Greg Strong's side.

Afan Lido 3-4 Prestatyn Town (Result)
Prestatyn's Dave Hayes had a penalty saved by Chris Curtis after five minutes, before Chris Hartland netted for the fourth time in as many games for Lido with 13 minutes on the clock. The scores were level on 22 minutes when Andy Parkinson netted for Town, but just three minutes later the hosts restored their advantage with midfielder Kieran Howard scoring. Just before the half-time interval Rhys Lewis equalised again for Prestatyn.

The excitement continued after the break with two more goals in quick succession. Prestatyn took the lead for the first time through defender Anthony Stephens on 52 minutes but a minute later Gareth Phillips made it 3-3 but his day was cut short when just four minutes later the Lido player/coach was sent-off. A second penalty was awarded to Town with three minutes to play and Gareth Wilson stepped up to make no mistake and win it for Prestatyn.

Airbus UK Broughton 3-0 Port Talbot Town (Result)
Airbus UK striker Steve Abbott completed a first-half hat-trick for the hosts to send Airbus through to Round 4. He slotted past Craig Richards after just three minutes at the Airfield and he scored his second in the 24th minute before registering his third just before the half-hour. Cortez Belle was sent-off for Port Talbot in the second half on a disappointing afternoon for the Steelmen.

Bangor City 4-1 Aberdare Town (Result)
Bangor's cult-hero Les Davies broke the deadlock at the Bookpeople Stadium with the opener on 22 minutes and a Jamie Bradford own-goal made it 2-0 on the half-hour which gave the Citizens a 2-0 half-time lead. It was 3-0 eleven minutes after the break with Sion Edwards scoring before Sam Small pulled one back ten minutes from time, but Marc Smyth wrapped things up with Bangor's fourth moments later.

Barry Town 3-1 Ely Rangers (Result)
Jordan Cotterill scored just after the restart in the second-half for Ely Rangers at Jenner Park but a Nicky Jones penalty restored parity in the 66th minute. The match went to extra-time and TJ Nagi gave the hosts the lead for the first time on 95 minutes and scored his second ten minutes later to become Barry's hero.

Flint Town 1-0 Llanidloes (Result)
It was goalless in the first half at Cae-y-Castell but Shaun Beck scored the late-winner on 90 minutes for Flint.

Gap Connahs Quay 4-2 Llanelli (Result)

The Reds took a 10th minute lead at the Deeside Stadium through Craig Moses and it was doubled on 29 minutes with Lloyd Grist scoring. Rhys Healy pulled one back for the Nomads five minutes before the interval when he rounded Craig Morris in the Llanelli goal. After the break Nomads scored three time in four minutes as Jamie Petrie, Jamie Wynne and Rhys Healy scored in 77, 79 and 81 minutes.

Gwalchmai 0-2 Chepstow Town (Result)
The lowest ranked team left in the competition, Chepstow Town have progressed into the last 16 with an excellent win on Anglesey. The Level 4 side from Welsh League 3 took the lead through John Thorn with 40 minutes played and it was 2-0 when Sam Rushworth scored on 75 minutes to cap a fine afternoon for the men from Gwent.

Holyhead Hotspurs 1-2 Carmarthen Town (Result)
The prolific Liam Thomas scored twice for the Old Gold who march on to the next Round. His first came with 10 minutes played, but on the stroke of half-time, ex Wales youth International Kenleigh Owen equalised for the home side. In dramatic style, Thomas broke the home side's hearts with an 89th minute winner.

Holywell Town 0-2 Caerau Ely (Result)
Keyon Reffell broke the deadlock for the capital-City based side on 36 minutes and Dafydd Jones doubled the lead six minutes later.

Llanrug Utd 0-5 West End (Result)
The Swansea-based side enjoyed a comfortable win in North Wales. Darren Griffiths scored in the first minute before a brace either side of half-time from Alex Chrysanthou. Luke Black (57') and Chris Howe (62') made it a fine afternoon for the Welsh League side.

Llandudno Junction 2-3 Haverfordwest County (Result)
Haverfordwest County booked their place in Round 4 in a five-goal thriller on the North Wales Coast. The Bluebirds took a 5th minute lead through the diminutive Steff Williams before John Blundell restored parity five minutes later. Richard Lewis handed the visitors the lead once again on 28, but Chris Lloyd again equalised ten minutes later. Lewis restored County's advantage with his second on 65 minutes to make it 3-2.

Monmouth Town 2-3 Bala Town (Result)
Monmouth's Jacob Guy scored the 28th minute opener to stun their top-flight opponents before a Lee Hunt brace in four minutes turned the game on its head. His first came on 33 minutes and he doubled his tally four minutes later from the penalty spot. Monmouth's Rob Laurie was sent off for a second caution in the second-half, but despite the numerical deficit, the Kingfishers leveled with Dan McDonald scoring on 65 minutes. The Lakesiders restored the advantage with Hunt registering his hat-trick and the winner just two minutes from time.

Newtown 2-0 Cefn Druids (Result)
After a goalless first-half, which saw Druids' Kieran Quinn sent-off, Craig Williams handed Newtown the lead just before the hour and last year's Runners-Up were down to nine-men on the hour with Joe Price sent-off. Zak Evans made it 2-0 on 64 minutes to seal Newtown's first Welsh Cup win since November 2007.

Pontardawe Town P-P Goytre (Frozen Pitch)

TNS 3-1 Conwy Borough (Result)
Alex Darlington finally broke the deadlock in the 75th minute for the Champions after debutant 'keeper Kristian Rogers had kept the Saints out until then, with a handful of excellent saves for the Musselmen. Scott Beckett dramatically equalised for Conwy in the 83rd minute to send the game to extra-time, but the Saints regained their advantage as sub Matty Williams scored in the 100th and 108th minutes to seal the Champions' progression.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala