Date: Sat 11 Feb 2017

Saturday Round Up | Saints' streak is snapped by superb Carmarthen as Robins win Rhyl Thriller and Druids top Aberystwyth.

Well, what a Saturday afternoon of football we were treated to! The Old Gold continued to impress with their huge victory over Craig Harrison's previously undefeated TNS, whereas Newtown, Rhyl, Druids and Aber all took part in very exciting fixtures! Read on to find out more.

Newtown AFC 3-2 Rhyl FC
Latham Park
Newtown AFC Scorer: Jason Oswell 11', 69', Nick Rushton 88'
Rhyl FC Scorer: Stefan Halewood 15', Kristian Pierce 77'

It was wet and windy at the home of The Robins on Saturday but the winter weather couldn't dampen the intensity of the action as this was a great game between two sides battling it out to avoid ending the weekend in the bottom two places of the table.

Jason Oswell picked up where he has left off recently with his fine run of form continuing into this game and resulting in an 11th-minute opener for The Robins, tapping home the rebound from Neil Mitchell's saved shot, but it was cancelled out in superb fashion by a Rhyl goal just four minutes later.

Stefan Halewood picked up the ball some 35 yards out before The Lilywhite leader lashed an effort into the top corner of Perry's goal to secure a superb equaliser after 15 minutes. Chris Hughes' side huffed and puffed throughout the remainder of the first half to try and force a way back in front but it never materialised as the two sides went in level at halftime.

The momentum ebbed and flowed in the second half as both sides toon turns to control proceedings, but Oswell made a telling impact some 20 minutes into the second half to give Newtown a 2-1 lead, again tucking away someone a rebound as Nick Rushton's shot rifled off the post and into Oswell's path to poke home. Again, though, the lead didn't last long as Kristian Pierce tucked away from the penalty spot less than ten minutes later to set up a nervy finish in Mid-Wales.

Oswell turned provider for his teammates as the game entered its closing stages, feeding Rushton superbly to fire low and across the goalkeeper, tucking away a huge winner with 88 minutes played and breaking Rhyl hearts!

Cefn Druids 2-1 Aberystwyth Town
The Rock
Cefn Druids Scorers: Nathan Peate 18', Ashley Ruane 47'
Aberystwyth Town Scorer: John Owen 42'

It was a strong start to Phase Two for both of these sides last week as Aber topped Airbus and Druids downed Rhyl to get this crucial stage of the season started in a positive way, but today both sides came up against each other and promised to be an intriguing encounter, as the two previous meetings this season were.

Ashley Ruane was again at the heart of everything Druids did well in the game, causing Aber a handful of problems in the opening 10 minutes or so alone, and it was The Ancients who took the lead in the game too as Nathan Peate powered Corey Roper's cross into the back of the net with a great header.

Going behind seemed to spark The Seasiders - particularly John Owen - into life, as he attempted to tee up Malcolm Melvin for a shot, before the visitors caused a good deal of pressure from corners and getting the equaliser they were desperate for not long before halftime as Owen latched into a long ball over the home defence before finishing coolly and making it 1-1.

As the second half resumed, the referee's whistle was practically still ringing in everyone's ears as Ruane went through and picked up the ball from Peate, who had held up play well, before tucking away expertly to make it 2-1 to Huw Griffiths' men.

These two sides went blow for blow in the second half, with Aber desperate to draw themselves level and Druids equally keen to extend their lead, but the next goal never materialised as the game finished with Druids securing a massively important three points.

Carmarthen Town AFC 1-0 The New Saints
Richmond Park
Carmarthen Town Scorer: Liam Thomas 45'

We said in our preview earlier in the week that you shouldn't be surprised if The Old Gold secured a result against The New Saints in this fixture. There's no pressure on Carmarthen, they're just out to enjoy Phase Two without any pressure on them, and they definitely enjoyed this fixture at Richmond Park as they worked very hard to secure a fantastic result against the reigning champions.

Scott Quigley had a great effort from the edge of the box fly inches wide after a dozen minutes of play, and The New Saints would register many more efforts throughout the game, but Carmarthen defended very strongly and kept Craig Harrison's off the scoresheet for a very long time.

The home side got a welcome reward for all of their hard work with halftime just around the corner as Liam Thomas finished very well with seconds to go in the first half and complete a perfect half for Mark Aizlewood's side.

The visitors did everything they could in the second half to try and salvage their undefeated domestic record so far his season, but The Old Gold were not to be denied as they left everything on the pitch in order to secure successive Phase Two wins against sides second and first in the league and snap TNS' undefeated domestic run.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala