Date: Sat 01 Dec 2018

Nomads go clear with win against Llandudno

Late drama elsewhere as draws are the order of the day

Connah’s Quay Nomads 3-0 Llandudno

Connah's Quay went three points clear at the top, for a few hours at least, with a 3-0 win at home to Llandudno.

Goals from Ryan Wignall, Andy Owens and Callum Morris were enough for the leaders, who extended their advantage thanks to The New Saints' draw at home to Met.

Both sides had half chances early on, Matty Williams’ shot which flew just wide probably the best of them.

That was before Ryan Wignall put the home side in front on 21’, converting after Michael Bakare knocked Declan Poole’s cross back across goal for the winger.

The returning Owens doubled the lead on 66', volleying in from the edge of the box. The visitors pushed to get back into the game, but were finally seen off late on when a handball in their box led to a Nomads penalty, which Callum Morris converted.

The New Saints 1-1 Cardiff Met

Nomads went three clear after second-placed TNS drew at home to Cardiff Met.

It was almost a Phase 1 double though for the Archers, Saints' equaliser coming three minutes from time courtesy of a Dean Ebbe header.

By that point Met were hanging on, having been reduced to ten men courtesy of a second yellow card for Emlyn Lewis.

Met had the opening chance, Chris Baker firing over from just outside the box. Eliot Evans then tested Paul Harrison with a free kick that the keeper spilled initially, but recovered before a Met player could follow up.

Kurtis Byrne then had a chance from six yards, but could only head wide for the home side. Aeron Edwards also saw a header go wide midway through the half, before the sides began to cancel each other out as the half drew to a close.

The second half was livelier. Ben Cabango tested Alex Lang with a header, which the Met keeper kept out and scrambled clear. Shortly after though the visitors went in front, Adam Roscrow converting from the spot after he was fouled in the box.

The Phase 1 double looked on, but Lewis' red saw Saints pile on the pressure in the last ten minutes, and eventually Ebbe salvaged a point to keep the home side second.

Llanelli Town 2-2 Caernarfon Town

An incredible final 33 minutes at Stebonheath saw four goals, two red cards and a point apiece for Llanelli and Caernarfon.

In an even first half, both sides saw chances hitting the woodwork. James Loveridge hit the post early on for the home side, whilst Gareth Edwards found it twice for the visitors.

A quiet opening to the second half was broken on 57’ when Cofis keeper Alex Ramsey misjudged a long ball, and in trying to recover the situation pulled down Jordan Follows just outside the box. That led to him getting a straight red card, Nic Bould coming off the bench to replace him.

It was the visitors who went in front though, Nathan Craig's free kick on 75' evading Oliver Davies, who got a hand to it but couldn't keep it out.

The Reds were level though four minutes later, Kurtis March's cross come shot taking a looping deflection on it's way in.

They were in front on 84', a foul on James Loveridge in the box leading to a penalty which Chris Jones converted.

That gave the home side the chance to close the gap on Carmarthen, but the visitors had other ideas, and Jamie Breese struck with two to play.

That wasn't quite the end of the drama, as Scott Tancock was sent off in the aftermath to that goal, but neither side could grab a winner and had to settle for a point apiece.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
WPL Preview: Bangor City v The New Saints 01/12/12