Date: Sat 06 Oct 2018

MD9 - Saturday Round-Up

Games in all parts of the country today, read on to find out how Saturday’s action panned out.

Llandudno FC 1-2 Llanelli Town
Giant Hospitality Stadium
Llandudno scorer: Mike Pearson 45’
Llanelli Town scorer: James Loveridge 26’, Jordan Follows 77’

In a game that Llandudno will have felt some pressure to win, they started the match looking to put all the pressure on Llanelli as they pressed high with Alfons Fosu-Mensah handed his first JDWPL start.

Iwan Williams will have been content with how his side started the game, however a mistake at the back by the home side will have infuriated him as it let James Loveridge in to score for Llanelli against the run of play.

Llandudno were wasteful at time in the final third and lacked a real cutting edge, but they did have two efforts cleared off the line in the first half in search of that equaliser, whereas defender Mike Pearson let loose from the corner of the box with an effort which took a spectacular save to stop it nestling in the top corner.

In first half stoppage time, Llandudno got their equaliser, as Pearson prodded home at the far post to make it 1-1, and Owen squandered an opportunity to make it 2-1 with the last kick of the half.

Llandudno came out looking to get on the front foot again in the second half, but it wasn’t to be for them in front of goal as Williams’ side came unstuck in the final third and were beaten by a Llanelli counter-attack as Jordan Follows made it 2-1 with ten minutes to go.

Kurtis March was shown a straight red card for the visitors late in the game, but there wasn’t enough time left for Llandudno to get back on level terms and the Reds secured their second win of the season.

Carmarthen Town 0-3 The New Saints
Richmond Park
The New Saints scorer: Jamie Mullan 49’, Greg Draper 75’, Kurtis Byrne 90’

Looking to get back to winning ways in the league, Carmarthen and TNS met at Richmond Park on Saturday afternoon in what was a big clash for both sides as between them they had only won one of their last six league games.

TNS started the brightest but neither side created many chances of note in the first half, with the game’s three goals all coming in the second period, as Jamie Mullan, Greg Draper and Kurtis Byrne sealed an important victory for Scott Ruscoe’s side.

Mullan netted early after the restart to set the tone for the half, as Draper and Byrne scored later on with the champions having worked their opponents hard on the way to securing all three points.

Newtown 2-0 Barry Town United
Latham Park
Newtown Scorer: Joe Kenton 45+1', 90+2'

Joe Kenton's goals edged a close game in favour of the Robins at Latham Park.

Neither side created too many clear cut chances in the game despite playing well, and it was Kenton who proved the difference, the striker netting in injury time at the end of each half.

His first came as the Robins broke from a Barry corner. A long ball up field was misjudged by Mike Lewis, who was beaten by the bounce. Kenton was able to nip in behind him and fire home.

Up to that point Ben Bailey had the best, possibly only chance of note of the half, his header from a set piece being well saved by Lewis. Drew Fahiya almost broke clear for the visitors, but a heavy touch saw the ball elude him.

The second half proved to be much of the same, with the two sides cancelling each other out. The visitors pushed and pushed in search of an equaliser, Kayne McLaggon almost getting on the end of a dangerous cross from Momodou Touray which Dave Jones nipped in to smother.

The pushing left space in behind though, and when the Robins broke in stoppage time, Kenton was there to fire in from a narrow angle to send them into third.

Featured Image: Mike Sheridan/Powys County Times/Newtown AFC

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
WPL Preview: Bangor City v The New Saints 01/12/12