Date: Sat 30 Sep 2017

#JDWPL Saturday Round Up | Barry top Bangor as TNS, Met and Druids secure big wins.

Plenty of goals this afternoon in The JDWPL. Read on to find out how your side got on!

Bangor City 0-1 Barry Town United
The Bangor University Stadium
Barry Town United Scorer: Kayne McLaggon 83’

The Barry Town United faithful joined with their Bangor City counterparts in creating a good atmosphere on the banks of the Menai Strait in this fixture, but despite numerous half chances which threatened to break the deadlock, the first half performances at least didn’t reward either set of fans with a goal.

Tyrrell Webbe and Kayne McLaggon were at the heart of a counter-attacking strategy which worked quite well for Barry in the first half, making good opportunities where possible considering Bangor’s tendency to dominate possession.

Luke Wall and Dean Rittenberg picked up where they left off for the Citizens after running the show on Tuesday night alongside Gary Taylor-Fletcher against The Nomads, but a mix of some sloppy finishing and super goalkeeping kept the scores level until halftime.

The Citizens did have the bell in the back of the net after the restart, but it was disallowed for offside as Rittenberg poked home a Lawrence Wilson cross. Bangor contributed to boss possession, creating good chances, but Mike Lewis in goal for the visitors was equal to everything and kept frustrating the home side’s efforts.

Into the last ten minutes, it was still 0-0, but Bangor soon had the back in the back of the net through Daniel Nardiello. The goal was again disallowed for offside though, and then McLaggon led a counter-attack down the other end and put Barry ahead 30 seconds later with some seven minutes of normal time left, before Gavin Chesterfield’s men saw out a thoroughly impressive victory.

Carmarthen Town 0-5 The New Saints
Richmond Park
The New Saints’ Scorers: Blaine Hudson 10’, Chris Seargeant 38’, 45’, 68’, Ryan Brobbel 49’

As superb as Carmarthen Town’s new 3G surface may look, it wasn’t the happiest of returns to Richmond Park for The Old Gold as they welcomed The New Saints to Carmarthenshire for the first competitive fixture in the new surface.

Parity in the fixture was broken after just ten minutes as Blaine Hudson ventured forward to get involved in a set-piece for the visitors and ended up poking home to give TNS the lead.

Mark Aizlewood’s men then settled the ship somewhat, missing a couple of great chances before the visitors were able to turn up the pressure going into the closing stages of the first half as a Chris Seargeant brace put Scott Ruscoe’s side three goals up going into the break. His first was a peach of a chip after Fletcher played him through on the halfway line, before good work from Fletcher and Spender down the TNS right led to Spender rounding Hall and squaring for Sergeant to score.

Any hope of the home side salvaging anything from the game in the second half was dashed almost instantly as Ryan Brobbel made it 4-0 after four minutes in the second half, rounding Hall and slotting home. Seargeant rounded off his hat-trick to make it 5-0 from the penalty spot after Hall had brought down Fletcher, and the champions comfortably saw out the win.

Cardiff Metropolitan 2-1 Prestatyn Town
Cyncoed Campus
Cardiff Metropolitan Scorers: Charlie Corsby 12’, Adam Roscrow 20’
Prestatyn Scorer: Noah Edwards 90+2'

Keen to put last weekend’s defeat in Deeside behind them, Cardiff Met returned home to Cyncoed to welcome Prestatyn to the capital for their first ever fixture against The Students.

Considered fairly formidable at home, Christian Edwards’ men showed why with the manner of their performance at the start of the game.

Pressing constantly and trying to get on the front foot, The Students got their rewards after 12 minutes when Charlie Corsby so possession and scored in a sweeping move to put the home side one goal up.

Back in the side after injury, Adam Roscrow marked his return with a goal inside 20 minutes as he finished off a move from a free-kick to put the visiting Seasiders 2-0 down.

The visitors toiled to get back into the game but Met stayed resolute, right until the last moments of the game where Noah Edwards pulled one back for Prestatyn to send the visitors home with a consolation goal to show for their efforts.

Llandudno FC 1-2 Cefn Druids
Giant Hospitality Stadium
Llandudno FC Scorer: Danny Hughes 57’
Cefn Druids Scorers: Alec Mudimu 18’, Mike Pritchard 25’

A second defeat on the bounce for Llandudno was handed to them by Huw Griffiths’ Cefn Druids who were excellent on their travels to Maesdu Park this afternoon.

Two exquisite volleys from man mountain Alec Mudimu and the ever-present Mike Pritchard saw Druids take a two-goal lead into halftime on the North Wales Coast, before Danny Hughes pulled one back for the visitors, but Alan Morgan’s men couldn’t muster up any more of a fight-back than that and Cefn Druids were into the top six with their impressive victory.

Newtown AFC 0-1 Connah’s Quay Nomads
Latham Park
The Nomads’ Scorer: Callum Morris 60’

Action-packed from start to finish, the small amount of goals scored perhaps doesn’t do this game justice as it was a great battle between Chris Hughes’ Newtown and Andy Morrison’s Nomads.

Michael Bakare and Nathan Woolfe both had early chances for the visitors but Newtown stood strong, before Luke Boundford went down after a nasty clash of heads with Joe Heath which saw both players receive extensive treatment.

When the game was restarted, The Nomads continued where they left off with Woolfe again proving a problem and Mathias Bakare also getting in on the action, but the visitors couldn’t break the deadlock.

Jamie Reed caused problems throughout the game for the visitors and Nick Rushton looked lovely at times too, but they had little luck when it mattered either and the score stayed goalless until halftime.

Rushton had en effort cleared off the line by Jake Phillips soon after the restart, as he looked to make a decisive impact against his old club, and Reed had another chance too, but it was Callum Morris for the visitors who opened the scoring after an hour with his effort JUST creeping over the line to give The Nomads a lead.

Reed went on a great run and looked to respond instantly for The Robins, but his effort was met by a good save from John Danby who smothered the danger. The Nomads continue to battle to secure a very valuable victory at a ground where they traditionally struggle, and James Owen in particular in the middle of the park had a very strong game winning possession and getting stuck in wherever possible.

In added time, after using all of their substitutes, even Newtown’s goalkeeper was coming up for set pieces to try and help the home side secure some points, but it didn’t quite happen and The Nomads secured a big victory.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
WPL Preview: Bangor City v The New Saints 01/12/12