Date: Fri 09 Mar 2018

#JDWPL Friday Roundup | The Dragons secure JDWPL status as Bala better Bangor and Prestatyn do battle with Llandudno.

Three big derbies in The JDWPL this evening brought about plenty of excitement and drama. Read on to find out how the matches panned out.

Bangor City 1-2 Bala Town
The VSM Stadium
Bangor City Scorer: Yves Zama 13’
Bala Town Scorers: Chris Venables 38’, 56’

It was a great battle from start to finish on the banks of the Menai Strait as Kevin Nicholson’s side welcomed Colin Caton’s Bala Town to The VSM Stadium and we almost had a goal after seven minutes as Matt Hall did very well to stop a Chris Venables effort from a tight angle.

It was Bala’s midfield maestro, picked for the upcoming Wales C International, who gave away the foul that led to the first goal five minutes later, however, as he fouled Stephen Hewitt before the City midfielder sent a free kick into the box that Yves Zama headed home after 13 minutes.

Fine margins prevented Bangor from extended their lead as two offside calls scuppered promising situations for The Citizens, but it was Venables who would redeem himself for the the earlier foul that led to Zama’s goal by netting himself late in the half to level the scores.

Bala came out strong in the second half as Mike Hayes and Kieran Smith forced smart saves out of Hall, before Luke Wall kept Ashley Morris busy at the other end for Bangor, but it was Venables who got on the scoresheet again from the spot to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

Hall was the hero later on as he pulled off a fabulous save to stop Venables extending the lead from a second penalty, but it couldn’t rally Bangor into a comeback as the visitors saw out a hugely significant win.

Carmarthen Town 0-1 Barry Town United
Richmond Park
Barry Town United Scorer: Drew Fahiya 80’

Huge credit to all concerned in this fixture for making sure it went ahead as the weather and traffic complications meant that the kickoff was pushed back slightly before both sides got down to business.

On the performance, you wouldn’t say that Carmarthen are a side who have been facing the threat of relegation all season as they were compact, they were organised, industrious and gave Barry plenty to think about in what was a very evenly contested fixture.

Jordan Cotterill and Troy Greening had a busy evening in midfield for the visitors as they tried to pick the lock in a tight Carmarthen back line, with the visiting wing-backs kept busy too as they looked to play around a Carmarthen side who made any passing avenues or cuts through the middle very difficult to find.

On the counter, Carmarthen were lacking just a little bit of luck, really, as Luke Bowen, Liam Thomas and Mark Jones each had great chances to break the deadlock in transition as The Dragons committed me forward in their dominance of possession.

Cotterill had the main chances of note for the visitors, or was at the heart of them at the very least, but it wasn’t until late, after showing a lot of patience against Carmarthen’s good tactics, when James Demetriou started to get into the game a bit more that Barry really looked like scoring, and it was a beautiful turn and shot which crashed off the post from the latter that enabled Drew Fahiya to creep in and grab his first JDWPL goal and secure the visitors’ JDWPL status.

Prestatyn Town 2-2 Llandudno FC
Bastion Gardens
Prestatyn Town Scorers: Myles Hart 29’, James Stead 88’
Llandudno Scorers: Sam Hart 48’, Danny Shaw 69’

Former Caernarfon Town star Jay Gibbs made his long-awaited debut for Llandudno last night, after being reunited with his former manager Iwan Williams in the winter transfer window, but he couldn’t quite prove to be the difference between the two sides.

Back in the side after sitting out Llandudno’s JD Welsh Cup Quarter-Final on Tuesday, Alex Lynch was busy in goal from start to finish for the visitors and made a fabulous stop after three minutes to deny the home side the lead.

Williams’ side had the majority of the possession throughout the match, however it was Prestatyn who notched up more chances, and inside half an hour Myles Hart left Lynch with no chance in goal as a looping header beat the keeper to give Gareth Wilson’s side a 1-0 lead. Lynch made a string of strong saves late in the half too, preventing the home side from going even further ahead, in what was a very good performance by the young stopper on the whole.

Lunch’s controlling of the deficit with his keeping enabled another Hart to strike back early in the second half, as Sam Hart made it 1-1 within minutes of the restart to set up a fantastic final 40 minutes, with Williams’ side more creative in the final third after halftime. Danny Shaw made it 2-1 to the visitors with 20 minutes to play and all Llandudno had to do was see it out, but Lynch went on another run of superb saves as he had to keep his side ahead.

He could do nothing about James Stead’s equalising penalty on 88 minutes, however, as Prestatyn equalised, but were it not for Lynch’s heroics throughout the rest of the match, who knows what the score line would have looked like at the end of this one. A good return to form for the young man!

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel
Cefn Druids 3-1 Bala