Newtown 644


0 - 1

Bangor City

Newtown v
Bangor City

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 24 Aug 2013
at Latham Park, Newtown
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 313

Referee: Kris Hames

Davies Deals Robins a Cruel Late Blow

The Bangor talisman Les Davies gave his side all three points at Latham Park with a late volley, which was a harsh result on the hosts.

As the clock edged to 90 minutes Jamie Petrie sat a ball up for the ever dangerous Davies who thumped the ball home to the delight of the travelling Bangor fans.

But it could have been a very different story as a quiet first half was spiced up as Bernie McNally introduced Jeff White and Sean Evans from the bench and both were influencial in a number of good chances for the hosts. McNally handed debuts to Nathan Hodge, Mike Platt and Tom Goodwin, and one of the new boys Hodge had an early effort fly over from a Max Penk cross.

Bangor debutant Anthony Miley headed over soon after for City as they showed very early on a big aerial threat. But on ten minutes, Newtown had a big penalty shout, as Hodge went over in the box after a strong push but the claims were waved away by the referee.

Damian Allen lashed over and then Jamie McDaid missed a guilt edge chance as he found himself one on one after a long ball but he fired well over Platt’s goal.

Platt was called into action with a few long range efforts from the visitors and the aerial threat continued with Declan Walker nodding over. Platt then saved well from close range but palmed the ball to Les Davies who crashed the ball against the bar, but the offside flag was up anyway.

Craig Williams had an effort blocked for the hosts just before the break, and then the ball pin balled around the box and eventually Kieran Mills-Evans headed wide.

The second half began with half chances for McDaid and Jones for the visitors and a shot from Johnston cleared off the line by Mills Evans.

Davies missed the games best chance soon after as a great Mike Platt saved denied a header from the big forward and then a point blank save to his right denied the Bangor man again.

White and Evans came from the bench and White single handedly changed the game. On more than one occassion his strength saw him trap the ball, and set the ball up for Evans, whose shot narrowly went wide.

White did the same again as both Luke Boundford and Craig WIlliams fired over. But after a dissallowed Davies goal for a push on Sutton, Bangor got the lead against the run of play.

Davies found Petrie who put a ball up for Davies who volleyed the ball past Platt and wheeled away in celebration. Zach Evans fired over in stoppage time but it wasn't enough, as Newtown suffered a cruel opening day defeat.