Rhyl 704


0 - 3


Rhyl v

Kick off:15:00 Friday, 18 Apr 2014
at Corbett Sports Stadium
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 428

Referee: Bryn Markham-Jones

Newtown up to Fourth with Comprehensive Win

Dave Forbes effort gets blocked by Chris Mullock with Shane Sutton watching on

Dave Forbes effort gets blocked by Chris Mullock with Shane Sutton watching on

A comprehensive Good Friday win propelled Newtown up to fourth in the Welsh Premier League.

Matt Hearsey struck inside 15 minutes, before a second half penalty from Zach Evans and a smart finish from Neil Mitchell gave Newtown the spoils.

The start of the game was a scrappy affair with both sides conceding possession, and Rhyl could have been down to ten men inside five minutes.

Liam Benson saw yellow for a high tackle, and he did the same again to Hearsey seconds later but the ref kept his cards in his pocket.

Despite the even start a mixture of Hearsey brilliance and a goalkeeping error gave the Robins the lead on 15 minutes.

The winger cut inside and curled a shot that didn’t look to trouble Alex Ramsey, but as people were thinking it was a corner, the stopper palmed it into the net.

And that sprung the game into life as first Carlos Roca put in a teasing cross, and then Dave Forbes saw his strike blocked by Kieran Mills-Evans after Chris Mullock had palmed out the initial strike.

Roca was becoming the Rhyl danger man and he produced a top drawer save from Mullock with a dipping long range effort.

Despite this the Robins had that attacking edge and a Luke Boundford cross fell to Neil Mitchell, who lashed a volley off the woodwork.

Mitchell again came close as he latched onto a Goodwin flick on but this time Ramsey was equal to it.

The momentum of the game was swinging as Rhyl then began to build up some pressure with good possession and dangerous set plays.

However there was nothing that could trouble the Robins stopper.

Rhyl were the stronger side in the opening stages of the second period as Paul McManus fired wide early on.

Despite this, persistent work from Hearsey and Evans saw the latter upended in the box by Benson and the ref pointed to the spot.

Zach Evans grabbed the ball and calmly stroked it home for his first goal since the beginning of the first phase.

Despite the two goal cushion Rhyl were having good possession and were threatening from corners but the attacking trio of Evans, Hearsey and Mitchell were always looking dangerous on the break.

Roca showed his worth as he flashed a free kick narrowly wide, and he was the best chance the hosts had of scoring.

The best move of the match with some slick passing football nearly put the Robins out of site.

Cook, Hearsey and Evans combined and the latter squared to Mitchell who fired straight at Ramsey from point blank range.

The momentum again swung in the hosts favour as Cadwallader saw his shot blocked, before McManus fired agonisingly wide.

However at the other end on the counter Evans flashed a shot inches wide of the back post, as the next goal was crucial to the outcome of the game.

And that goal fell to Newtown as Williams’ free kick was flicked on by Boundford and Mitchell turned smartly and wrong footed the helpless Ramsey.

This gave the Robins a new lease of life as Boundford fired over, and the Robins were looking the more likely to add to their lead.

Boundford struck again and then Mitchell fired in a dangerous cross as the visitors looked threatening every time they went forward.

Sean Evans who was pivotal to a lot of the Robins play went crashing into the Rhyl dugout late on and his afternoon was over with a serious injury.

Rhyl never looked like coming back into the game and the final whistle went to see the Robins up to fourth.

Photo: chestertonphotography.co.uk