Airbus UK Broughton 686


0 - 1

Bangor City

Airbus UK Broughton v
Bangor City

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 29 Mar 2014
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 274

Referee: Mark Petch

Les Heads Bangor to Airbus Win

Les Davies scored the winner

Les Davies scored the winner

A second win at Broughton this season for Bangor, and again by the only goal of the game - scored this time by Les Davies in the final minute.

And there was no sign of medals for the runners up elect. The Airfield ground was surprisingly empty for a second v third encounter on a warm March afternoon but City didnt mind that. From the offset they went for the win which opened a seven point gap over fourth placed Rhyl.

A Dec Walker piledriver forced a good early save from James Coates as City won a couple of corners in as many minutes, swept forward by a stiff breeze into the runaway end. Moments later they forced a couple more as Coates and Ian Kearney were called into action as Les Davies and Jamie Petrie threatened. On the quarter hour a first chance for The Planemakers saw Chris Budrys meet a cross from the left to head goalwards but City glovesman Jack Cudworth pulled off a great save. A home corner which City easily cleared. Bangor continued to press and Sion Edwards unleashed a clean strike from some 25 yards which Coates pushed away for a fifth corner but as Airbus countered Dec Walker was yellow carded for a clumsy challenge. A freekick on half way was sliced over for a second 'Bus corner but this time City broke and Tom Field had his name taken by Mr Petch for a challenge of on half way.

The blues - or in this case reds - midfield stood up well to the home side with Ryan Edwards and Rob Jones heavily involved. Granted City had the elements in their favour but the visitors might easily have taken the lead despite and freekick from half way being scrambled clear as Coates cut an anxious figure behind his lanky rearguard which saw centreback Pearson strangely deployed at right back with former Newtown utility man Andy Jones at centrehalf. So all square at the interval with blues manager Nev Powell clearly the happier of the two managers, although his opposite number might feel the switch of ends could prove significant.

Two changes at the interval saw big Steve Abbot replace big Chris Budrys and Glenn Rule come on for Ryan Wade. Despite now playing into the wind, attacking the social club end, Bangor continued to make the running. An early chance came the way of Chris Jones whose quick turn and low shot was denied by a low save from Coates. But with the wind at the back the home side were sure to cause some problems and a couple of corners in the opening quarter of the second half caused one or two anxious moments for City fans. On the hour mark Jason Oswell replaced Irish veteran striker Steve Jones who had cut an anonymous figure on the left.

Next City attacked down the left, Chris Roberts crossed and a stooping header from Chris Jones was caught by Coates. On 62 minutes a change at the back for Bangor as Gerwyn Jones replaced Anthony Miley in the heart of the defence. Big Steve Abbot was proving hard to handle but Bangor broke down the left once more - Pearson will scarcely have enjoyed his outing on the right flank - but Sion Edwards lashed wide from twenty yards.

Substitute Jones and captain Johnston had to work hard to repel the big Airbus strikers but, with Wade off the field, their approach was largely route one and clear chances were few and far between.

With twenty minutes left on the clock it was still Bangor who seemed capable of creating the clearer chances, and a weary looking Sion Edwards made way for Jamie McDaid who took up a position on the right. Both sides won their sixth corner of the afternoon but neither managed a direct effort before on 79 minutes Jay Colbeck came on for Chris Jones who had been impresive for City. Young McDaid looked to celebrate his birthday with a goal but was denied by Sam Hart despite winning another corner for the visitors with his pace and determination. Four minutes from time a powerful run from Les Davies was half stopped but the ball ran out to the right where Ryan Edwards teed up Jay Colbeck but he skied his fifteen yarder.

Dec Walker won an eighth corner which Gerwyn Jones headed over and as the game drifted into the final minute it seemed destined to be a draw. But Bangor had other ideas and a deep cross from left found the head of Les Davies who guided the ball into the bottom left hand corner to the delight of the City fans behind the goal.