The New Saints 667


5 - 1


The New Saints v

Kick off:14:30 Wednesday, 1st Jan 2014
at Park Hall, Oswestry
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 357

Referee: Richard Harrington

Saints back on top with Five Star Performance

The New Saints returned to the top of the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League after a dominant four one victory against Newtown.


Chris Seargeant scored for the Saints

Chris Seargeant scored for the Saints

first half goal from Chris Seargeant gave The Saints a deserved lead and just before the hour mark, Chris Jones scored a sensational second goal. Greg Draper added a third but a minute later, Jeff White pulled a goal back. Matty Williams impressively sealed the points with a wonderful goal from just inside the box and Alex Darlington capped off a wonderful display, by slotting the ball into the net, to make it five in the last minute of the match.

Craig Harrison's men started well and controlled the majority of the play but there were few chances created from both sides despite Kai Edwards' header going close and Sean Evans' powerful long range shot, which was kept out by Paul Harrison.

The home side continued to pass the ball around but Newtown, who beat The Saints on Boxing Day, were once again proving difficult to break down.

However, on 35 minutes, Seargeant managed to find a way past The Robins and break the deadlock. The former Everton midfielder expertly skipped past a couple of defenders on the edge of the box before firing a powerful shot past Platt, to give his side a deserved lead.

Soon after, Aeron Edwards raced clear but as he composed himself, Shane Sutton produced an excellent last ditch tackle to thwart the energetic midfielder.

TNS started the second half well and 12 minutes after the restart it was two. Jones picked the ball up on the half way line before unleashing a shot from around 35 yards out, which looped over Platt and into the top corner.

With an hour of the game gone, Draper diverted Darlington's shot onto the bar and although the rebound fell kindly for the New Zealand International, the striker couldn't find the back of the net.

The visitors continued to battle and Shane Sutton headed over their best chance of the game with 15 minutes left to play.

With the rain continuing to fall, Draper tapped in from close range to make it three nil after an excellent cross from Chris Jones but within a minute, Newtown pulled a goal back through White.

However, just like the rain, the goals continued to pour. Williams sensationally controlled the ball just inside the box, before unleashing an incredible strike into the top corner to restore the three goal advantage for his side.

With a minute to play Darlington slotted home from the edge of the box to ensure that TNS returned to the top of the Welsh Premier League.