Newtown 644


2 - 0


Newtown v

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 14 Dec 2013
at Latham Park, Newtown
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 272

Referee: Iwan Griffith

Gutsy Robins up to Fourth

Craig Williams wins a header

Craig Williams wins a header

In a swirling wind at Latham Park Newtown picked up three valuable points in the race for the top six courtesy of goals from Luke Boundford and Sean Evans.

A goal in each half was enough to secure the win for the Robins, but the scoreline could of been much more with the chances Newtown created.

Despite the Robins dominating the game it was Rhyl who had the first opening as Tom Donegan worked the space for himself and fired inches wide of Chris Mullock's post.

Tom Goodwin then fired over after Newtown carved out a great move which saw skipper Andy Jones nod the ball on for the midfielder, but his volley flew over.

Evans saw his goalbound effort deflected wide, and Keiran Mill-Evans had a header saved before the Robins got their noses in front.

Luke Boundford's goal sneaks in at the far post (Photo: Kevin Hughes)

Luke Boundford's goal sneaks in at the far post (Photo: Kevin Hughes)

A harmless cross from Luke Boundford didn't seem to cause Rhyl many problems, but the visiting defenders and goalkeeper stood still, and the ball nestled in the net to give Newtown a deserved lead.

And moments later Boundford nearly made it two but his header from a Max Penk cross was just past Alex Ramsey's post.

Ramsey then made a world class save throwing himself to his left and tipping the ball away as Jones header looked set to give Newtown a second goal.

Boundford was in the action again early in the second half as his shot was deflected over.

Rhyl were struggling to create anything in the final third, but did have an effort on target on the hour mark as Steve Lewis fired at Mullock, a shot that was Rhyl's only effort on target.

Evans fired a long range effort inches wide soon after, but he finally got his name on the scoresheet.

Boundford saw his effort from the edge of the box parried by Ramsey, and despite pressure from the Rhyl defenders, Evans fired under Ramsey to give Newtown a comfortable lead.

Jones created a chance late on but the score remained at 2-0, giving the Robins the points and moving them up to fourth in the table.