Gap Connahs Quay 602


0 - 4


Gap Connahs Quay v

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 8 Nov 2013
at Deeside Stadium, Connahs Quay
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 176

Referee: Ryan Stewart

Robins up to Third with win at Nomads

Matthew Hearsey scored for the Robins

Matthew Hearsey scored for the Robins

Chris Hughes’ reign at Newtown began in spectacular fashion as his Robins side ran out 4-0 winners at GAP Connah’s Quay tonight.

Matt Hearsey’s (pictured) first half strike set the ball rolling and further strikes from Jeff White, Andy Jones and a Craig Williams penalty secured the win for Newtown to see them go 3rd.

It was a nervy opening affair with both sides failing to keep the ball. But the Nomads had the best chance early on as Ryan Edwards flashed a shot just wide of Chris Mullock’s goal.

Mike Hayes put a shot just wide soon after as Newtown were taking some time to get into their stride.

Max Penk caused some problems with his crosses teasing the Nomads defence but just after Matthew Hearsey put his side ahead in spectacular fashion.

The wide man picked the ball up on the left and drifted in curling a shot into the top corner beyond McCormick on 21 minutes.

And this saw Newtown gain some momentum then as Jeff White tested McCormick who made a great point blank save following a Penk cross. And then Hearsey worked a good move again, and Tom Goodwin’s shot and then second attempt was saved by the Nomad’s keeper.

Left back Penk, who was looking dangerous nearly put Newtown further in front as his long cross had McCormick back peddling with the post coming to the keepers aid.

The Robins were looking good with the slick passing and ball retention that they have shown in previous weeks, something that Chris Hughes would have been very pleased with.

Luke Boundford floated a shot over the bar, before Hayes got free on the right for the hosts, but his cross evaded everyone in the box and was swiped away by Craig Williams.

And right at the end of the half, Hayes flashed a shot wide, and then Mark Sharples had a header palmed away by Mullock to preserve Newtown’s lead at the break.

Less than ten minutes after the break and Newtown were two up as Williams teasing run down the right saw him cross for Jeff White, who nodded home for his first goal in Robins colours.

Hearsey had another chance but his tame effort was saved before GAP sub Gary O’Toole rattled Mullock’s crossbar from the edge of the area as the visitors began to threaten.

Mullock then saved from Danny Forde, but against the run of play Newtown extended their lead as Hearsey broke down the right and sat a cross up for skipper Andy Jones who glanced a header home to put the Robins in a commanding position.

Connah’s Quay kept coming back at Newtown though and Hayes threatened again with Mullock saving well.

But with ten minutes to go Hearsey won his third penalty in three games for Newtown as he was taken down by Forde, and Williams grabbed his sixth goal of the season from the spot.

Subs Callum Wright and Boundford had great chances to extend Newtown’s lead, but McCormick was equal to the efforts, to leave the final score at 4-0.

The Robins are now up to 3rd and have lost only once in the last eight games.