Bala Town 577


3 - 0

Carmarthen Town

Bala Town v
Carmarthen Town

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 22nd Sept 2012
at Maes Tegid, Bala
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 179

Referee: Mark Petch

Bala gain first win as Hunt scores Brace

Bala hosted Carmarthen Town in a match that they were hoping to win and kick start their season, as a poor start had seen the Lakesiders collect just 2 points from their opening 5 games.

?The hosts did not get off of to the best of starts though, as the visitors hit them on the attack straight from kick off, and Jonathon Hood forced a save out of Ashley Morris as early as the 10th second of the match.

The 10th minute saw Bala break the deadlock, as Stephen Brown hit a long ball towards the Carmarthen goal, which was met by Lee Hunt (pictured) after he timed his run well before side footing the ball past the helpless Kerry Nicholas in the Carmarthen goal.

?The visitors response came 3 minutes later, as Paul Fowler stepped up to take a 25 yard free kick, which he struck brilliantly, and saw his strike heading for the bottom corner of the net, however Morris was on hand to pull off a great save to keep Bala in the lead. ?With 28 minutes on the clock Morris hit a long goal kick, that was played on to Hunt who made the score 2-0 with a great finish.

The hosts were forced into a reshuffle a few minutes later, as Mike Byron had to leave the field of play, as a head injury left him feeling dizzy. Mark Connolly replaced Byron, and Ross Jefferies slotted in to the centre of defence in place.

?The 38th minute saw Bala make the score 3-0, as a corner was played out to Kenny Lunt, who unleashed a powerful shot from outside the box, which Nicholas was able to get a hand on to, but the power on the strike meant that he couldn’t get enough on to the ball as it went into the back of the net.

?The second half saw Hunt have an opportunity to complete his hat-trick, but his 67th minute shot was saved, and Ian Sheridan saw his effort from the rebound cleared by the Carmarthen defence.

The visitors attempted to find a way back into the game through their two second half substitutes, as they hit Bala on the break, which ended with Sam Wilson playing a cross into the path of Danny Thomas, but he put too much on to the cross, and it went out for a goal kick. Thomas was at it again in the 80th minute, as he collected a long ball that had been played into the Bala penalty area, but a great last ditch tackle form Stef Edwards prevented him from getting a shot away.

Bala came close to making it 4-0 in the 85th minute, as Hunt won the ball, before running down the wing and crossing to Mark Jones, whose shot went narrowly wide of the target. A minute later it was nearly 3-1, as Mathew Rees got his head on to the end of a cross, only to see the ball hit the crossbar, with Morris beaten.

?The most notable moment of the closing stages cam in the 93rd minute, when referee Mark Petch did a step over to ensure he didn’t collide with a pass from Bala’s Lewis Coding to Ben Collins. The final whistle confirmed Bala’s first win of the season, which was the least their efforts deserved, and will hopefully signal a turnaround in form.