Gap Connahs Quay 602


3 - 1


Gap Connahs Quay v

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 1st Sept 2012
at Deeside Stadium, Connahs Quay
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 143

Referee: Mark Whitby

Llanelli leave Deeside empty handed as Nomads climb to 4th spot

Gary O'Toole scored for Nomads

Gary O'Toole scored for Nomads

An excellent second half performance saw the Nomads pick up three more points and showed their worth in the Welsh Premier League. The win moves Nomads up to 4th place in the league table and hopefully, gives some indication of what’s to come as the season progresses.

Nomads started with the same line-up as last weekend and playing 3-5-2, went straight onto the attack. Nomads were halted by offside decisions twice in quick succession, then Michael Thompson beat the offside trap in both the 3rd and 5th minute. On the second occasion, a quick pass through to Gary O’Toole saw the striker hit a shot from 30 yards, just over the bar.

As Llanelli started to get into the game, it became more end to end with both sides making good use of their right wingers. On several occasions, Llanelli managed to get in behind the Nomads defence and though both sides were having chances, neither keeper was really threatened.

Nomads, Jamie Petrie made an excellent covering tackle in the 28th minute after the Llanelli left winger got away from a tackle by Michael Robinson. As the half wore on, Llanelli began to edge it and they started forcing Nomads into errors, but Nomads kept working hard and came close to scoring in the 41st minute, when Ricky Evans struck a free-kick from 35 yards which went just wide of the post with the Llanelli keeper struggling to reach it. Then in the 42nd minute Gary O’Toole was harshly judged to be offside when running on to a through pass.

No score at half-time and that was probably a fair reflection of the game.

Within 4 minutes of the restart, Nomads were in the lead as a great through ball from Michael Thompson to Gary O’Toole, beat the Llanelli offside trap. The Nomads striker went round the keeper and found the net from an acute angle and then the celebrations started. As Llanelli tried to get back into the game, the Nomads defence stood firm and John Rushton made two excellent saves from the Llanelli forwards.

Nomads were gifted a second goal on 58 minutes, when a Llanelli defender miscued an attempted back pass to his keeper from the touchline. Ricky Evans gathered the ball and moved goal wards before driving a 20 yard shot beyond the keeper and into the far corner of the net. Nomads nearly had a third 5 minutes later when Michael Thompson picked the ball up in the centre circle, ran through a 3 man Llanelli defence then passed to Ricky Evans, who forced a good save low down from the Llanelli keeper.

Dean Canning replaced Gary O’Toole (73rd min) and Rhys Healey replaced Ricky Evans (81st) and with fresh legs on, Nomads continued to press forward, restricting Llanelli attempts to get back into the game.

With a two goal cushion for Nomads, the game looked all over. But with 2 minutes left, Michael Thompson’s corner from the right curled over the defenders and the despairing attempt of the keeper and found the net, then in the 1st of 3 minutes of added time, Martin Rose scored a consolation goal for the visitors.

It was very good team performance by the Nomads and a thoroughly deserved victory.