Aberystwyth Town 785


1 - 2

Carmarthen Town AFC

Aberystwyth Town v
Carmarthen Town AFC

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 22nd Jan 2010
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 467

Referee: Bryn Markham-Jones

Exquisite free-kick the difference for Brace's Boys

Chris Thomas' exquisite 38th minute free kick from a full 30 yards proved a worthy winner for Town after Bari Morgan had levelled a Tim Hicks sixth minute opener.

Nicky Palmer and Dyfan Pierce returned from injury and loan signing Sean Cronin slotted in well with Thomas in the middle of defence. Following Town's first foray into Aber territory Hicks' cross was deflected behind at the expense of a corner. And with the front man getting above the Aber defence he glanced home Nathan Cotterrall's flag kick to net his ninth goal of the season.

Graham Evans and Geoff Kellaway exposed Town's left flank on a couple of occasions and following patient build up on the edge of the box Town were slow to clear Aneurin Thomas' floated ball in before Glyndwr Hughes played in Morgan who struck low beyond the keeper to level the deficit.

Town responded positively. A Craig Hughes effort was blocked and deflected behind and minutes later a superb save from Aber 'keeper Steve Cann again denied the front man's turn and volley after he had controlled a cross from Cronin well.

Then with the break approaching Gareth Hughes was adjudged to have fouled Palmer and Thomas' sweetly struck left foot set piece found the top of the net to put Town in front for the second time. In response Kellaway and Evans raided the right and, having forced a corner, Sion James' powerful header was cleared off the line to leave Town with a deserved advantage at the break.

Following the resumption Luke Sherbon replaced Hughes for the hosts and almost immediately Neil Thomas had to be sharp to deny the sub with his feet as Aber upped the tempo. Pierce's last-ditch tackle kept out Kellaway and just after the hour Cledan Davies replaced Steve Bowen and Aber moved to three at the back as they looked to get back on even terms for the second time.

With substitute Davies making an impact down the left Thomas did well to deny Luke Bowen after the front man was put through on goal. Appeals for a penalty were waved away as Town defended the edge of the area tenaciously and the Richmond Park outfit countered well and with pace. But despite forcing a series of corners and free kicks in good areas the cushion of a third goal remained elusive.

Cotterrall blasted over a squared ball with ten minutes remaining and deep into injury time sub Mark Pritchard somehow scooped over an open goal after his wing-man had out-flanked the defence.