Carmarthen Town AFC 791


2 - 1

Caernarfon Town

Carmarthen Town AFC v
Caernarfon Town

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 13 Dec 2008
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 288

Referee: John Swindley

Tommo's Penalty Save denies Caernarfon a Point

Neil Thomas' dramatic penalty save in the second minute of injury time denied Caernarfon Town a share of the spoils following this intriguing and closely contested encounter.

Danny Thomas had put Town ahead on the quarter hour, blasting into the top of the net, after Easter chested down a clearance from a corner and his low drive across goal found Thomas free at the back post.

The visitors had started brightly with Grice's weaving run causing problems. But on the ten minute mark it took a reaction save from visiting keeper Guinion in front of a gaping goal to deny Thomas after hesitancy in the Caernarfon defence had let in the predatory striker. But with Town unable to add to the tally, despite considerable possession, it remained 1-0 at the break

The visitors reacted positively belying their League position with some neat and penetrating play and within three minutes of the restart they were back on level terms. Thomas denied Johnson's drive at the expense of a corner and with Town clearing the set piece Furlong forced a free kick having been bundled on the edge of the D. Johnson's curling kick rounded the wall and beyond Thomas to settle in the back of the net.

Easter and Thomas linked well playing a neat on-two before Easter sent his final effort just wide of the mark whilst substitute Dawes' acrobatic effort at the other end also missed the taget .

But with Johnson and Furlong continuing to trouble Town Cotterrall escaped down the left and following his penetrating run Hudgell's first time effort from his captain's low cross handed Town the advantage for the second time on 72 minutes.

With twelve minutes remaining Thomas denied Dawes brilliantly after the ball had fallen kindly to the substitute at point blank range. And the No 12 really should have done better minutes later when he blasted over when well placed in front of goal.

Caernarfon were reduced to ten men when Addo saw red for his unnecessary reaction to Thomas' tackle with eight minutes remaining and with Town pushing forward Jackson's block denied Town's young substitute Horwood after Hudgell had broken free.

Then with the game deep into injury time Furlong latched on to a long clearance and with Dodds' clumsy effort bundling over the mid-fielder referee Jon Swindley pointed to the spot and the visitors looked to have salvaged a point.

But with Thomas diving superbly to his left his strong hand deflected Furlong's well taken effort wide of the post and the game in Town's favour as the Richmond Park outfit survived the late scare to collect all three point to move up to fourth in the table.