Aberystwyth Town 785


2 - 2

The New Saints FC

Aberystwyth Town v
The New Saints FC

Kick off:17:30 Saturday, 25 Oct 2008
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 553

Referee: Dean John

Late Baker Own Goal hands Aber a Point

A LATE own goal from Phil Baker earned Aberystwyth a share of the spoils in a cracking encounter between two of the league's unbeaten sides at rainswept Park Avenue, which was shown Live on S4/C.

The Black and Greens pressed for most of the second half in the drenched conditions and finally earned parity three minutes from time when Geoff Kellaway's cross from the right was headed into his own net by substitute defender Baker.

Few would argue that the hosts did not earn some reward for their efforts as they twice fought their way back against the Saints in the tricky conditions. TNS, who would have gone second had they won, struck first blood when a poor clearance from advancing home keeper Dave Roberts fell for Craig Williams, who planted his first-time effort into the net from 30 yards.

Aber, for whom former Manchester United starlet Sean Evans proved a real threat on the left in the first half, whipped several menacing crosses across goal only to lack the final touch. But they were back on terms on the half hour when Evans was tripped by the outstretched leg of TNS skipper John Leah, and Luke Sherbon coolly chipped home the penalty.

The Saints, however, threatened again with John Toner denied by Roberts, but the striker was to make no mistake two minutes before half time when, collecting a left wing cross from Scott Ruscoe, he needed a couple of touches before poking the ball home from 12 yards.

Wilde went close to adding a third when failing to make telling contact with a Williams corner, while the striker also had a second-half effort ruled out for offside. But Aber had the better chances in the second period, with Graham Evans having a couple of efforts saved by keeper Paul Harrison.

After the striker had been released by an incisive pass from Chris Venables, Harrison made a telling block, but the keeper pulled off an even better save moments later when clawing away a goalbound effort from close range.