Newtown AFC 644


0 - 0

The New Saints FC

Newtown AFC v
The New Saints FC

Kick off:14:30 Sunday, 7 Sept 2008
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 401

Referee: Darren Adie

Saints drop points at Latham Park

The New Saints dropped their first points of the season after being held to a determined Newtown side. Both sides had enough chances to take the three points but had to share a point a piece.

TNS started the brightest with Alex Darlington firing a shot which clipped the top of David Jones bar while Alfie Carter was denied by Danny Jellicoe tackle as the Robins were forced back. As the first half continued, Newtown started to get a foot hold in the game and a good right wing cross by Craig Williams saw Gavin Cadwallader head inches pass Paul Harrison left post. The Robins frustrated their visitors with John Leah firing over as TNS struggled to create clear cut chances.

The second half saw Newtown create the better chances and had a good 20 minute spell with their visitors rattled. First the outstanding Adam Worton whipped over a left wing cross which Neil Mitchell failed to touch home with Harrison scrambling the ball round the post.

The visitors were reduced to ten men on 52 minutes when defender Michael Taylor was given a straight red card by referee Darren Adie for a poor challenge on Cadwallader and with TNS down to ten men the Robins got on top. First Harrison was again called into action to push away a Damien Daniels rasping drive before Mitchell headed straight at the keeper from a Richard Williams-Cooke cross.

With the game open and both sides looking for maximum points, Newtown substitute Craig Moses fired wide from a narrow angle with only Harrison to beat but TNS finished the stronger with their own substitute Michael Wilde seeing his shot saved by the legs on Jones before Scott Ruscoe had an appeal for a penalty turned down. In the dying moments, John Leah nearly won the game for the saints but his power drive was deflected wide to the relief of the Robins.