The New Saints FC 667


0 - 3

Carmarthen Town AFC

The New Saints FC v
Carmarthen Town AFC

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 9 Feb 2008
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 231

Referee: Kevin Parry

Hicks Double shocks Saints at Park Hall

TNS slipped up at Park Hall against Carmarthen Town in a surprise 3-0 defeat courtesy of a Tim Hicks double and Paul Fowler strike.

The hosts almost took the lead in the game though when after nine minutes, Barry Hogan linked well with John Toner, who laid the ball into Kevin Townson's path, but the new-signing was deemed offside after he found the back of the net. Winger Scott Ruscoe then shot well from outside the box,. but just shaved the wrong side of the post.

The Old Gold then scored their first goal following excellent work from former Cardiff City Youth duo Jamal Easter and Gregg Coombes. The two teenagers played the ball between themselves from the half-way line and into the box with a patient build-up, before Easter chipped a deadly cross over Paul Harrison and Hicks headed home on the line with 24 minutes played.

The advantage was doubled when midfielder Paul Fowler picked the ball up just inside the Saints half and ran unopposed for 10 metres before firing a trademark powerful effort straight at Harrison, who made a huge mistake and fumbled the ball into the net.

McKenna brought Duane Courtney and Jamie Wood on and the change almost made an impact after the break when Toner wasleft free in the box, but his on-target shot was saved magnificently by Neil Thomas. The same man then raced clear of the defence but this time fired well over the bar as time was running out for the Champions.

The game was settled when sub Danny Thomas linked up with Coombes who crossed well to Hicks and the striker took his time to cooly step inside Mike Taylor before finishing in the corner passed a diving Harrison.

An unhappy TNS boss, Ken McKenna said,

"Not only a disappointing result, but a disappointing performance. I thought the best team, by a mile, won the game. They were fitter, stronger, they had a little bit more desire than us and they were fantastic and we were poor."

"The lads were absolutely magnificent and we're probably the first side that can say we beat TNS in back-to-back games," said Deryn Brace.