Caernarfon Town 591


3 - 4

Llanelli Town AFC

Caernarfon Town v
Llanelli Town AFC

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 29 Sept 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 264

Referee: Mike Jones

League leaders edge thriller at Oval

Daily Post reports;

NO points were gained but a lot of credit was claimed by Caernarfon after coming off second best to league leaders Llanelli in a seven-goal thriller.

Steve O'Shaughnessy's team even led 3-1 at one stage and had great expectations of victory. But the full-timers stepped up a gear to emerge triumphant and extend their unbeaten run by registering win number six in eight visits to The Oval.

Llanelli's rip-roaring start produced a Rhys Griffiths goal within half a minute, the striker getting on the end of a three-man move to fire past Craig Vernon in Town's goal.

Home hopes were revived on eight minutes, when Mark Thomas punished a fumble by visiting keeper Ryan Harrison to score from close-range after John Rowley's fine through-ball.

The Canaries were in full flight after that and captain Eifion Jones headed just wide from a free-kick by James Glendenning from the left wing.

The scoreline became 2-1 at the half's midway point thanks to Glendenning, who nipped in at six yards to finish off from a James Thomas set-piece.

Then The Oval faithful could hardly believe it when Town went 3-1 up minutes later, Bobby Jones pouncing to exploit a misplaced header by Llanelli's Wyn Thomas. That merely stirred the giant within Llanelli, however, and a reply goal by Wyn Thomas, atoning for his earlier error, narrowed the gap half time approached.

Llanelli's manager Peter Nicholas sent on two subs, and fresh legs, for the closing half an hour and the ploy paid off as the visitors took control of the match. Jordan Follows squared matters within a couple of minutes from a Sam Small set-up and then, to Caernarfon's dismay, master marksman Griffiths powered in a right-angled 15-yard effort with 10 minutes left to give Llanelli all three points.