NEWI Cefn Druids 794


2 - 3

The New Saints FC

NEWI Cefn Druids v
The New Saints FC

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 21st Apr 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 260

Referee: Neil Morgan

Leah fires Saints to Premier Title

THE New Saints sealed their third straight Welsh Premier crown after being made to battle all the way at sun-drenched Plas Kynaston. Having wobbled with two defeats in the past week, the defending champions were not to be denied as they twice came from behind before eventually prevailing when substitute John Leah drove home the winner five minutes from time.

It had proved a tense afternoon for the Saints who, looking anxious at times on a dry surface, had struggled to get into full flow against a committed Druids outfit keen to gatecrash the party. But they eventually pulled through, as the Mid Wales villagers savoured a third title, and fourth in all, with one game remaining.

The Saints, however, were given a run for their money against a Druids side who showed they were not just prepared to make up the numbers. On 13 minutes, former Wrexham striker Lee Jones was able to lob home in spectacular style from 35 yards catching skipper and 'keeper Ged Doherty off his line. But that lead lasted just five minutes when a short free kick along the left saw Chris King whip in a cross and Alfie Carter flicked on for Greg Stones to steer his 10-yard volley inside the left post.

The Druids restored their lead on 36 minutes when Osian Jones's 25-yard free kick squeezed past keeper Ged Doherty and inside the left upright. TNS got back on terms again in first half stoppage time as King drove an indirect free kick into the goalmouth and Carter glanced the ball into the net from close range.

The second half became more scrappy, although Carter and Wilde were both narrowly off target from the edge of the box for the visitors while Steven Beck's strike was turned around the post by Edwards. Ruscoe's corner floated narrowly over moments later while at the other end the outstretched leg of Druids striker Mike Heverin failed to make contact.

The Saints kept plugging away despite their frustrations and earned their reward five minutes from time when Leah, a half time substitute, worked his way into the home box before drilling a low, angled shot across keeper Edwards from 16 yards. The trophy will be officially presented after Tuesday's home clash with Carmarthen at Treflan.