The New Saints FC 667


1 - 3

Caernarfon Town

The New Saints FC v
Caernarfon Town

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 14 Apr 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 247

Referee: Simon Jones

Canaries Singing Aloud as Saints have to wait for Title

A brave and impressive Caernarfon Town ensured that The New Saints must wait a little longer for the Principality Welsh Premier crown after pulling off a shock win at sun-drenched Treflan.

Victory would have seen the defending champions lift the crown for a third straight season, but they failed to deliver against their visitors, who made a mockery of their lowly league status to guarantee their survival. The Saints had conceded just 13 league goals all season, but were breached three times as the Cofis produced the shock of the day.

Caernarfon looked resolute from the outset, with defenders throwing their bodies on the line while making the most of their opportunities in front of goal. They made the perfect start when defender James Glendenning planted a 20 yard free kick into the top left hand corner on 12 minutes after Michael Jackson had been penalised for handball.

It was not to be TNS's day, with Spaniard Oscar Gonzalez setting the scene for a frustrating afternoon when seeing an equaliser ruled out for handball while Carl Lamb was guilty of a catalogue of wasted chances before grabbing an injury time consolation. Despite struggling to get into their stride, the Saints still had hopes of retrieving the encounter after the break but a quickfire brace from the lively Paul Addo put Caernarfon in the driving seat.

'Keeper Ged Doherty, who has been so reliable this year, was found wanting on both occasions, first advancing out of his box in the 48th minute in an attempt to shield the ball, only to watch helplessly as Addo nipped in to volley home. More sloppy work two minutes later saw Doherty misread John Leah's back header, allowing the advancing Addo to lift the ball over the stranded keeper before tucking into an empty goal.

The Saints battled to retrieve the game, but Caernarfon held firm, courtesy of their committed approach and some wasteful finishing from their hosts. Lamb was twice foiled by the woodwork, and when he did get the ball in the net, his effort was ruled out by the offside flag.

Jon Rowley missed a good chance to make it four for the Cofis when failing to make contact with a James Thomas cross while Saints substitute Greg Stones also rattled the bar from a tight angle. Lamb finally grabbed a consolation from close range after keeper Paul Pritchard had parried Alfie Carter's low shot in the dying moments.