Llanelli Town AFC 628


1 - 2

The New Saints FC

Llanelli Town AFC v
The New Saints FC

Kick off:14:30 Saturday, 17 Mar 2007
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 322

Referee: Phil Southall

Reds' Calamity Mix-Up hands Saints all three points

LLANELLI were, quite simply, gutted when the final whistle blew. They had been the dominant side in the second half, and were pretty disgruntled at the prospect of settling for one point.

Then, a disastrous mix-up between Stuart Jones and stand-in goalkeeper Gareth Williams saw TNS take all three.The visitors took the lead with a scrappy goal after only nine minutes when Llanelli had the chance to clear in a goalmouth scramble.

However, Stuart Jones only succeeded in diverting the ball to Carl Lamb, who slotted home. All in all, it was never going to be Jones' day. The potent home strikers were soon back on the attack, and TNS keeper Gerard Doherty had to be at his best to tip a goal-bound header from Lee Phillips over the bar. Another Llanelli chance went begging as Rhys Griffiths spurned a chance from only six yards out, putting it over the bar. TNS had chances too, mainly through the long ball.

It was a baptism of fire for Williams, who was in goal after Duncan Roberts was sent off in midweek. He nearly had a nightmare start when he misjudged one such clearance, finding the ball bouncing over his head. Mike Wilde seemed to be in on goal, but Stuart Jones did well to smother the chance.

It was not until 15 minutes into the second half that Llanelli were back on terms, when Craig Williams slipped the ball through to Jacob Mingorance. A goal seemed unlikely as the Spaniard had no angle to work with, but he squeezed it past Doherty to level. There were more chances for Llanelli, with Rhys Griffiths and Antonio Corbisiero just inches away from making the vital contact.

Disaster struck for the home fans four minutes into injury time. There was no TNS attacker threatening when keeper Williams advanced to collect, only for Jones to divert it past him.