Rhyl FC 704


2 - 2

NEWI Cefn Druids

Rhyl FC v
NEWI Cefn Druids

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 10 Nov 2006
at Belle Vue
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 481

Referee: Rob Duncan

Druids denied great victory by late Cameron strike

<1>Leading 2-1 despite having skipper Aled Rowlands sent off, Druids looked set to earn a deserved second league win of the season before Lilywhites substitute Dave Cameron struck in injury time.

Rowlands was sent off in the 53rd minute after a foul and was shown a straight red card, however, being a man short only inspired Druids further by defending in numbers and looking to hit the hosts on the counter-attack. It was one of these counter attacks that gave The Ancients the lead for the second time on 63 minutes when former Caernarfon player Lee Jones, who had an impressive debut cleared a poor corner then picked up on a loose pass deep inside his own half.

Seeing Osian Jones in space he played the ball forward, allowing the midfielder to run on to the ball unopposed and slot the ball home under the advancing John Gann in the Rhyl goal. That was the second time Druids had taken the lead as, in just the second minute, James Taylor netted his first goal for the club. A corner from the left caused problems in the Rhyl box, and Taylor did enough to beat Gann on the line to give Druids a surprise early lead.

Druids nearly doubled the advantage after 27 minutes when Chris Roberts' powerful 35-yard effort could only be parried out for a corner by Gann. Rhyl did their best to find an equaliser before the break, but found Druids' 3-5-2 formation hard to break down and, when they did, the finishing was wasteful leaving Carl Edwards untroubled.

The hosts did come close to equalising after 44 minutes following Stuart Graves' bursting run down the left, he crossed for Lee Hunt in space on the right side of the Druids box and he picked his spot perfectly at the far corner of the net, but Edwards made a superb save with his right foot to flick the ball out for a corner. The striker wasn't to be denied though, as two minutes into first half stoppage time, Hunt, this time on the left side, was able to slot home across the Druids keeper into the far corner.

<2r>Just before Hunt's attempts, Carl Lamb, who caused Rhyl's defence problems with his pace, wasted a golden opportunity to double Druids' advantage. He capitalised on an error by Carl Clampitt and rushed a harmless shot from distance when Lee Jones was in space on the edge of the area. After the interval and Rowlands' dismissal, the home side looked to take advantage, but found Druids to be well organised at the back to keep out the threat, leading to Jones' goal.

The Ancients came close to adding a third in the 82nd minute when Waynne Phillips hit a free-kick from 30 yards that took a deflection, looping the ball up on to Gann's crossbar and out for a corner. It had looked that Druids had done enough to gain a famous victory when the fiery Scot Cameron popped up in the 91st minute, with the deflection wrong-footing Edwards, leaving him helpless as the ball crept in just inside the post.

Rhyl's second equaliser suddenly turned the game on its head as the hosts pressed for a winner in the remaining two minutes of stoppage time, but Druids held on for a draw that, at worst, they deserved.