Aberystwyth Town 785


4 - 2

Carmarthen Town AFC

Aberystwyth Town v
Carmarthen Town AFC

Kick off:19:30 Friday, 10 Nov 2006
Fixture Type: Welsh Premier League
Attendance: 391

Referee: Brian James

Aber victory leaves them singing in the rain.

In rain drenched conditions, Town paid a heavy price for a lack of concentration and some indiscipline as they went down 4-2 to local rivals Aberystwyth on Friday night. This loss saw Aber leapfrog Town into fifth position one point ahead of the Richmond Park outfit.

With the rain lashing down Town made a disastrous start by conceding a goal in the opening minute. Andy Evans put the hosts ahead after he was inexplicably left unmarked by the Town defence. After he accepted David Burrows' cross he rounded the keeper to give Aberystwyth a dream start.

<1r>Town gradually played their way back in to the game and a good move by the visitors ended with the in-form Kaid Mohamed shooting inches wide of the home goal. Town added to their woes on the half hour mark as Liam Hancock pushed Luke Sherbon to the ground after a tackle and was red carded by referee Brian James. Reduced to ten men, Town did well but conceded a second from a corner as David Burrows (right) got above the defence to put the home side two up with a minute of the half remaining.

Four minutes into the second period Bari Morgan tapped in Stuart Roberts' cross to give the hosts a comfortable lead. But Town began to show some character and Mohammed menaced the Aber defence and his persistence paid off as captain Nathan Cotterall was released down the left and his pinpoint cross was slid home by the front man to reduce the arrears.

Both sides were reduced to ten men in the 80th minute as Aneurin Thomas was red carded for a foul on Mohammed. But the evening-up of the numbers provided little respite for Town as slack defending allowed Roberts to get his cross in and Craig Jones to claim Aber's fourth of the night.

<2>The scoring was eventually brought to an end in the 87th minute when both second half substitutes Craig Lima (left) and Nathan White combined as Lima scored Carmarthen Town's second of the evening and a slightly more respectable score line in the continuing downpour.

Town manager Mark Jones was understandably subdued after the game. "We conceded such a sloppy goal at the start of the game. Then with the sending off of Hancock we were facing an uphill task for the rest of the match. I was pleased with the way we played in the last half an hour but must produce that form consistently for the whole of the game."